Sunday, June 8, 2014

where i came from. who i was. the journey God has thus far taken me on, and the adventure i am now beginning. the back story on how God has shaped and formed me into who i now am.


     I was born and raised most of my childhood in the deep south of Tinnissee (otherwise known as; tennessee). I was home schooled, and no, I was not socially awkward.  As a child I enjoyed playing games such as: hide and seek, homeless, zombie, toad patrol, and many other ones too embarrassing to even mention.  My sister and I were the queens of the neighbourhood lemonade stand business, as well as the leading campaigners for our "Don't Be a Litter Bug, Pick Up Trash" rampage around the neighbourhood.  Wether I was playing t-ball at the age of four or playing basketball from second grade until seventh grade, I was quite the competitive little spitfire.  Holding my ground well in any sport where I could compete and dominate against boys as well. 

     I was always very business minded, from making flyers and post cards and bringing an income of easily over a hundred dollars a month from my "Swank Pet Sitting Business" to transforming old pants into purses with the business "Pretty Purses" (and yes, we had a theme song." Many other endeavours were tried during these years of my life.  I even planned, hosted, and invited my entire school, in 2nd grade, to a Hawaiian Luau Disco party, in which, I was never "exactly" given permission to plan... oops. 
     

     
     At the age of thirteen, my family uprooted from Tennessee and moved to the rednecked state of Alabama.  At this age, I became more conscious of how I looked.  Who I hung out with, what I was wearing, etc.  And that, some, boys were in fact quite cute.  However, I never let any of those things influence who I was.  During this time of my life I really learned who I was in Christ.  Who He had called me to be.  The giftings, and passions, and talents, He had blessed me with.  I learned that my identity was fully in Him.  And that no one else's opinion mattered.  He gave me a heart for missions throughout the world.  He gave me compassion for those who didn't see or take ownership of their identity in Him.  
     
     I struggled with knowing what my specific "calling" was or wondering what I could honestly be used for, and I had doubt as anyone.  I went through times where I could speak "Christianese" and truly did love God, however I felt like God was holding something back from me.  For my entire life I prayed and had prayed over me that I would be filled with the Holy Spirit and Have Godly Wisdom.  For some reason, at the time, in my mind when I would pray that, I was really (secretly) asking and wanting to speak in tongues.  It wasn't until I learned to surrender my pride that I grasped the understanding of being filled with the Holy Spirit.  
     
     In 2010, my family moved to Kalamazoo, Michigan. Otherwise known to me as "please come to the zoo" Michigan, to visit and "save me."  Ha. But no, I was serious.  I was not happy about this change.  I was leaving all of my friends form the south.  I had never been to Kalamazoo and didn't plan on ever living there, or at least being happy about living there.  However, the day I found out we were definitely moving, I was headed to Texas on a missions trip, a part of the missions team, at a middle school camp, with my youth group.  I was told that 18 days from right then, I would be leaving for this Kalamazoo place.  It wasn't until the last night of the camp that I lost the self pity I had for myself.  I was praying for this young girl, only 12 years of age.  She was telling me of all this abuse she had experienced... and then went on to tell me that who she had currently been living with, her grandmother, died, just that week when she was at camp, and she had received news that day she would be going into foster care within the next few days.  As she told me this, she shed not a single tear.  I,however, started praying for her and was in immediate; uncontrollable tears.  I continued praying and the Lord was suddenly speaking through me in a language I didn't understand.  At that moment I had such a compassion for her, and later felt terrible for feeling so much self pity about being so selfish and upset prior, because of moving states.... even though I would be moving with my entire family that loved, cared, supported, and protected me.  That moment was huge in my life.  In my thoughts, though I didn't share the exact revelation I had had with too many people, it was something I rather had to portray in my life.  Even with this awakening I had, I still did have down days about the whole situation of moving.  It was a daily decision I had to make to be happy and to move forward from the past and onto what God was calling me to then, and now.  
     
     With all of that said.  Wow, now looking back, moving to Michigan was such a great time frame of my life.  I have learned and grown and developed lasting friendships and discovered and challenged myself more than ever.  It is amazing to see the plans God had and still has.  
     
     In July of 2012 I found myself setting out on a completely new and daring adventure as I board a plane at the Detroit Airport destined to land in Brisbane, Australia.  I was blessed with funds  and opportunity to partake in a Discipleship Training School through YWAM (youth with a mission) Beach to Bush in Brizzie.  I have always loved, travel, adventure and adventure.  However, this was absolutely the most amazing experience of my life.  




     The first 16 weeks were really intensive training which aims to equip students for a lifetime of Christ centered service.  The core theme of the school is;To know God and make Him known.”  During my time there, I learned more about about Who God is, His character, His nature, and His ways.  As well as my identity in Christ, Gods purpose for my life, and how to live out my faith in everyday life.  





     From Aussie, God sent me to the gorgeous country of India.  I traveled from Brissie- Dubai-Singapore to Calcutta, India. It was quite the experience.  From there we took a 14 hour jeep ride to Siliguri and then a 3 hour jeep ride up the mountain to Darjeeling.  I absolutely fell in love with India.  In love with the beauty of the people and the culture. 
My team and I backpacked along the foothills of the Himilayan Mountains, traveling village to village for about 2 months.  In each place we had the amazing opportunity of sharing the  Gospel, testimonies, sermons, skits, and love.  




     I saw God move in incredible ways.  Seriously, from physical headings to spiritual headings and Provision in numerous ways.  During my time there, I was challenged physically, spiritually, emotionally, and physically, however God never ceased to speak to me.  He taught me heaps about resting in Him.  Letting Him be my encouragement, strength, and voice.  I met so many incredible and passionate people.  India has and always will hold a huge place in my heart.  I pray that one day God would give me the opportunity to return to India and to serve and love. 

During my time there, God spoke to me about truth.  Knowing, living, and walking in the truth.  And after months of having my mind set on it, I decided to get inked! Ahh I was scared, but those three words, "walk in truth" were written in the beautiful language of Hindi, were something I really did want to always remember.  A symbol of the way I was to live.  And who I was to live for.  So, I did it, I got a tattoo that represented that phrase as well as the love and Passion He has given me for the outdoors; creation.  


     
     Returning home was indeed hard.  Maybe one of the hardest parts of the journey all together.  I felt so useless and that I was going about life without a purpose anymore.  But that was a lie.  And once I surrendered and let certain things in my life go, I saw the truth in that! 

     During my last few weeks in Australia, I felt that a small aspect of my calling in life was to serve in the field of missions with outdoor recreation and health.  Therefore, I went forward and (long story short) applied for Northern Michigan University's Outdoor Recreational Leadership and Management program.  My dream is to live abroad, or somewhere on the northern East or West coast of the U.S.  I would love to challenge others in their walk with the Lord through the outdoors and to open an outdoor/ coffee shop.  Through the shop I hope to have revenues of outdoor recreational activities and sports ministries.  My passion is to create intentional relationships through the outdoors.  I hope to also be a part of mobbilizing young people who enjoy all aspects of the outdoors by challenging them spiritually and providing opportunities for them as well to be involved in outdoor ministry locally and across the globe. 

     Although I want to move ahead to the future and live out my life outside of school, I am currently pursuing to be intentional with every day I am given.  Coming to Northern, Winter semester of 2014, I prayed about it and made a decision to not become a part of a small Christian bubble.  I felt God sent me to school for relationships, that this was my mission field that He has placed me in at the time being.  And that I was to love and care and befriend all.  I am sound in who I am, in my own personal morals and standards, I am temped as any human, but the Lord has completely protected me from believing the lies and deception, not of Him and His word.  

     My first semester was amazing.  I made heaps of friends and became extremely involved in my local church within my first few weeks.  All of my classes were very informal in a way that gave us each the opportunity to talk amongst the class and in small groups constantly.  It was an environment where everyones opinions and beliefs were discussed, challenged, and listened to.  It was amazing to me how easy it was to talk about God in class.  As well as How I was still able to befriend anyone.  I met so many amazing and smart people.  I love the community amongst the students and even the professors that the environment of this program eludes to.  

     
     Marquette is also an amazing town.  So small and quaint.  I love running into all sorts of people I know, each time I leave my house!  It was a very cold winter, though I loved it!  I was able to experience many new things as shown in the pictures below. 






As of now, I am back in Marquette for the summer.... working as a kayak guide at Uncle Duckys.  God is continually teaching me new things and challenging me in new ways.  



//Life is exciting. 
 Always an adventure.  
And I am ecstatic to see where mine will take me as years go by//







No comments:

Post a Comment